Friday 6 February 2015

#timetotalk

I've just read an email from a 'friend'? 'acquaintance'? ... (labels again) .... I met through social media ... and before any of my more 'colourful' mates think I'm up to something I shouldn't be .... 'social media' ... 'friend' nudge nudge, wink wink ..... this is something I'm serious about and has made me sit back and think in our busy world .....

So a couple of years ago on twitter there was the usual follow and follow back of people, and I became acquainted with Rohan Kallicharan ... probably the brummie / black country thing and we had a few RT's and chats over time about sport .... exercise and mental health ... as you do #timetotalk .....

See, the thing is, Rohan is a total inspiration ..... achieving so much through running and addressing his mental health issues so it was a surprise and a kick up the backside to read his email to friends, family and those who have supported his fund raising (£8,935.38 for MIND, the mental health charity over the last couple of years - wow!) that he's had a recent relapse .... as this excerpt from the start of his blog suggests ...

'I never saw it coming. Almost 9 years free of a Bipolar manic episode, and then bang, just like that, an explosion which, following an all too familiar pattern, leads to implosion. And if that sounds chaotic and confusing, just imagine living with it for over 2 decades ...'

Now, it's not time to worry or fear that something dreadful happened ... it hasn't ... but it made me sit up and think ... when was the last time I took 5 minutes out to talk to someone about they are feeling? 

OK, it happened to be yesterday ... but was that the exception to the rule, or not?  And when we ask, do we really want to know or just hope that they other person will say, yes, I'm fine (AKA F**ked up, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional .... didn't you know?) ... thanks for asking ...

I'm going to drop Rohan a line now ... just to say 'hello' and that I'm thinking of him ... not as a friend or acquaintance .... but as a person ... because a smile, a kind word or just giving someone 5 minutes of your time can make the world of difference ... whether they are part of your normal world or not ... after all, wouldn't we all like to think that there would be someone who would do the same for us if the need arose ?


If you want to find out more about Rohan and his 'running cure for depression', check out his blog http://www.ro-runner.co.uk ... it really is inspirational ... :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment