Thursday 7 August 2014

Going to the OSCA's ...

Are you a volunteer in Sport?


*WIN A FREE NLP/PSYCHOLOGY IN SPORT DIPLOMA PLACE!*

Volunteers and coaches are the lifeblood of all community sport, and without the time, effort and commitment of these people, many clubs, teams and coaching sessions would not be able to run.

In short, volunteers and coaches make sport happen.  Without this amazing group of people, who willingly give a considerable amount of time to enable others to play the sport they love, grassroots sport wouldn’t exist.

I've been involved in Sport for as long as I can remember in one way or another, and because I started an NLP for Sport company aimed at elite sport, people often think that what we do isn't applicable to anyone other than those in professional sport.

But this simply isn't the case.

And how do I know? Because I'm a volunteer in amateur sport too!

As a hockey player, I 'retired' from my sport when I moved to London, thinking that with a new career as a Sport Science lecturer at Roehampton University I wouldn't have the time needed to dedicate to travelling around the country, playing games and of course, all the training involved to stay at the top of your game.

Luckily for me I got 'persuaded' by a colleague to fill in for a side who were short that weekend ... and as a newbie at my University I thought it would earn me brownie points by helping them out!

One game in and five goals to my name I was persuaded to play again the following week ... and the rest is history as they say! I've now been with Old Kingstonian HC for the best part of 20 years and am proud to say that I've held volunteer roles with the club, starting with first team captain, club secretary and now I'm the Club Captain - both an honour and a gobbler of time!

Needless to say, I know from personal experience what goes into making such clubs run smoothly, and the people at our club who selflessly work to ensure we all get to play our sport is tremendous!

I started when we had 3 mens and 'almost'  2 ladies sides.  Now we have 4 mens, 4 womens and over 180 juniors - all playing and training each week throughout the winter - this simply wouldn't be the case if it weren't for those amazing volunteers!

So last night, when we attended 'The OSCA's' - or the Surrey Cricket Board award ceremony for Outstanding Service to Cricket Awards it reminded me just how much goes into sport at all levels, and that regardless of the level, psychology plays a key role.

For the last three years Inside Performance has sponsored The Outstanding Coaching Achievement award which this year was won by Rob Wint of Ashtead Cricket Club - so a big CONGRATULATIONS TO ROB!



When we attended last year, we heard some great stories about people's commitment to cricket and sport in general, so this year we decided to give something extra to help develop those volunteers who don't get sponship money directly to grow their CPD. This is why we are offering a free place on our NLP Diploma this autumn to one lucky person who is a volunteer for a local sports club as a 'Thank You' for the work you do!

To qualify, all you need to do is:

  • Be an unpaid volunteer in ANY sport 
  • Have no previous NLP or Sport Psychology training
  • Be available to attend the three training day at The Kia Oval, Vauxhall on Sept 17-18-19 2014
  • Send the following information to jo@inside-performance.com

  1.  Name:
  2. Address:
  3. Tel Number:
  4. Email:
  5. Club you volunteer at:
  6. Occupation:

You'll then go into a draw on AUGUST 13TH 2014 and if your name is drawn at random then you'll be invited to attend.

It's only available on the above dates and it's a non transferable place. Included is three days training, all manuals and attendance certificate, lunch and refreshments but you'll need to provide your own accommodation (if required) and transportation to get there.

Please ensure you complete all info in your email, otherwise your entry will be void.  

So, thank you once more to all of those volunteers, in all sports and from all walks of life - give yourselves a big pat on the back .....



No comments:

Post a Comment